Google

Sunday 25 February 2007

Interview with David Vincent D'Andrea

q)Something about you.what you want.

a)My name is David Vincent D'Andrea. I am an illustrator and a soothsayer.

q) What are your main goals when you create?

a)Usually the main goal is to illustrate an idea. Beyond that, I hope to convey a sense of "memento mori", the fleeting notion of life's extremes. I aim to create a piece ofart that not only illustrates a piece of literature or album title, but can stand on its own both on the page and on a gallery wall.

q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

a)Most images start with a very basic idea or notion. I develop a sketch from a found image, a doodle, or sometimes a piece of classic art, etc. From there I build upon the first image. The layers of development come about in different ways...sometimes they create a sigil. Sometimes they simply look good. This involves a lot of research and brainstorming.

q)How has the internet and your website helped you spread your artwork toa wider audience?

a)Well, the internet allows me to display my work, sell originals and prints, and communicate with people all over the world. I have built my own website since 2001, and try to keep it up to date. It is totally invaluable as an illustrator in 2007.

q)How do you define your style and how would you describe your art to someone who could not see it?

a)Sigillistic, heraldic, dark, visual reminders of life's transience. Vaguely occult and symbol heavy. I think it's fairly obvious that it's underground .or obvious that I grew up on skateboard graphics and heavy metal! Archaic crests for modern battles.
q)What materials do you use to realize your creations?

a)The method of reproduction very much determines the materials. If a design is intended for a screenprint, I would approach it differently than if it was for an album cover or magazine. In general, I use india ink and low-key colored inks and watercolor. Most pieces are on wood panels. I sometimes use collected paper scraps or ephemera as collage elements.

q) What is your favorite a) taste b) sound c) sight d) scent e) tactile sensation?

a)Black liquorice, a train passing in the rain, natural history/science displays, fresh coffee beans, swimming in a dark lake.


q) What are you doing now.your current projects…

a)I am currently finishing up an album design for Winters, on Rise Above Records. Also just completed a t-shirt for Portland band Warcry. Upcoming is a split between Coffins (Japan) and Arm and Sword of a Bastard God (CA). Also starting on my version of Napalm Death's "Scum" album for a tribute compilation. I am also extremely excited to be starting sketches for the upcoming Witchcraft album!

q) Do you listen to music while you're creating and what do you listen and what do you like to listen?

a)Yes, I am always listening to music as I create. It is a huge influence and conduit for me . It always has been. My all-time favorites: Sleep, Katatonia, Pandit Pran Nath, Swans, Witchcraft,Sonic Youth, Hawkwind..


q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians,books.?

a)I am constantly digging and searching for influences that lie outside of my general scope. Paper ephemera, vintage advertising,antiques, natural history, science, and literature from classics to comic books.

q)Name 3 things you couldn't create without?

a)On a very primal level,simply a mark-maker and a surface to draw upon! If you're asking about day to day life, I'd say coffee, ink, and computer. I like to think that if the Armageddon approached and we were living in a Mad Max type of reality, I'd still find the drive to create and illustrate.To bring beauty into the dying world!

q) Where have you shown your art.?

a) I have exhibited in San Francisco,Oakland, Portland, Minneapolis, and Cleveland. I enjoy the show aspect of being a visual artist, but it has to take a back seat to my priority,which is illustration. As I have mentioned, I attempt to fuse the two aspects of art, but it is sometimes impossible. Therefore, I don't actively search out too many galleries.

q)) What haven't you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)I would like to work with a filmmaker.


q) How important is self-promotion for an artist nowadays?

a)It is extremely important of course. And it is easier than ever. Rather than going door to door with a portfolio under arm, we can simply promote ourselves via the internet. I also send out promotional materials, but simply to point people to my website.

q) Would you say that your work consciously reflects characters and situations found within your daily life?

a)I'd say that my work reflects my inward life and dreams and characters that I pull from the ether, rather than my daily interactions and observations.

q) Favourite book?

a)Anything by Faulkner or Flannery O'Connor. Also"Mysteries of Mind, Space, and Time" Volumes 1-28.


q) Designers/Artists you admire?

a)Barron Storey, Takato Yamamoto, JamesJean, Harry Clarke, Odd Nerdrum, Pushead, El Greco, Sam Weber, Kiki Smith.

q) Your contacts..e-mail.links.

a)
http://www.dvdandrea.com
david@dvdandrea.com
I have very nice giclee' prints available via: http://www.circle-9.com
I also have a few screenprinted posters available in the "shop" section ofmy website.
Thanks very much Claudio!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home