Google

Friday 23 February 2007

Interview with Jay Parnell

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)I am a narrative painter.

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and paint in my home studio.

q) How did you get started? How have you realized you wanted to become an artist?

a)I am still becoming an artist.

q) What materials do you use and why?

a)I’m an art snob when it comes to buying materials. I use Williamsburg Oils the most but I also use Old Holland and a few others. Using high quality paints and mediums are the first way to insure that your work will be high quality. I paint on wood panels for the rigid surface. My work tends to have a lot of details and wood works best for me.

q) Who is your biggest influence, both art and non-art related

a)I have a list of many influences. I think it is hard to maintain a short list of influences when everyone is inundated with all sorts of thoughts and images on a daily basis. In order to be brief I will list a few primary influences: my wife, Miles Davis, Odd Nerdrum, Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler and Kiki Smith.

q) How do you dream up with your wacky ideas? What is your creation process?

a)Truth is stranger than fiction so I watch my family and let my imagination guide the rest.




q) What haven’t you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)I would really love to try my hand at sculpture.

q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Here’s my shortlist of contemporary artists I love Chakaia Booker, Hugo Crosthwaite, Andy Goldsworthy, Nick Cave and Ledelle Moe. There are several other artists who are creating incredible work but this is a good start.

q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)I juggle two to three pieces at a time, so it’s hard to say.

q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?

a)I listen to all kinds of music. Here is a sampling of things recently played on my i-pod: Miles Davis, MeShell Ndegeocello, Alice Coltrane, Mos Def, Quasimoto, Prince and Sun Ra.



q) Do you do many art shows?

a)Not recently. I’m working on paintings for a couple of shows this year.

q) Tell us about a recent dream you had.

a)I was on a cross country bike trip with my wife, my kids, my mother-in-law and some kid I worked with at a record store in college. I bought a pack of European cigarettes that never got smoked. However I was cool enough to keep one neatly tucked behind my ear for the rest of the dream. My youngest daughter kept getting left behind, and we had to go back and find her (a la Little Miss Sunshine). That’s all I can remember.



q) What are you doing when you are not creating?

a)I like to hang out with my beautiful wife and home schooled kids.

q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?

a)Sometimes I do get attached to a painting. That feeling usually diminishes when I start the next painting.

q)What new projects or exhibits are in your future?

a)I am working with a neighbourhood group on a public art project. I am the lead creative on the team so I expect it to be a fun and interesting process. I am also currently in the process of looking for a new gallery.

q)What is your favourite art related web site?

a)There are way too many art-related sites to list one so I will list two. I like design sponge and Phantasmaphile.



q) any advice you can pass onto aspiring artists/designers?

a)Have fun. Life is too short to do anything you do not love doing!

q)your contacts….e-mail…links

a)

www.jayparnell.com
You can find the rest of the contact info on my site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home