Google

Sunday 11 February 2007

Interview with Daryl Waller

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)I am Daryl Waller
I am 29.

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in London, UK

q) How did you get started? When did you realise you wanted to become an artist?

a)I've just followed the path that seemed right, I’ve always drawn and pained, even at an early age. Good advice from tutors and listening to your soul.

q) What's your favourite medium to work in, and why?

a)I like to paint with household paints and I like to draw with marker pens etc, but it depends on what the idea is to what medium I’ll use, it might end up a book for example.

q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians and books…?

a)Yeah, I am probably influenced by music the most, some artists I like... it's hard to say... I pick books up and put them down all the time, takes bits of ideas and mix it with other bits of ideas.

q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or you only follow what comes in your mind?

a)I just work on what I want to work on - sometimes from an idea in my sketchbook be needed, other times Its more of an outpouring of an idea/feeling

q) What haven’t you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)Visit Alaska and stay in a log cabin for a while.




q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)At the moment I'm into
http://www.ruthclaxton.com/

q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Depends what the piece is - anything from an hour to a month.

q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?

a)The list is almost endless but here are a few…

The Fall
Sonic Youth
Dinosaur Jr
Pavement
Sebadoh

Those are some that have been with me a long time, but at the moment I'm listening to:-

Richmond Fontaine
Bright Eyes
CSS
Grinderman
Kris Drever…to name a few

q) Do you have many art shows?

a)Yes, I aim for 2 per year - - and as many group shows as physically possible.



q) Favourite clothing setup?

a)Straight jeans
t-shirt
V-neck jumper
Dunlop trainers (white or blue)

q) What are you doing when you are not creating?

a)Eating, thinking, staring, sleeping, travelling, drinking, talking.



q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?

a)Yes, often

q) What new projects or exhibits are in your future?

a)I have (hopefully) an exhibition soon in my old primary school (1982-6) the week before it gets smashed down.
I've also made four art-videos for the re-release of the 1987 Sebadoh album Weed Forestin, this will be out later this year on Domino Records.
I’ve also just finished an album cover for a band called The Loose Salute, again that will be out later in the year through Graveface Records, I’m also doing an animation video for them.



q) Describe your workspace.

a)I'll send you a photo.

q) Your contacts…. e-mail…links

a)
www.winterdrawings.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home