Google

Friday 2 March 2007

Interview with Damon Soule

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)Hi my name is Damon Soule. I make stuff as my primary love and occupation. Life is beautiful and it is my intention to remind people of that fact.

q) Where do you live and work?

a)For the last 3 years I’ve lived and worked in New York City and before that I was in San Francisco for 10 years

q) How did you get started? How did you realize that you wanted to become an artist?

a)Like most children I enjoyed making art... I just never quit doing it. It was never really a choice I made consciously. The universe laid out this plan for me and I merely work my hardest to be the best I can.

q) What's your favorite medium to work in, and why?

a)I truly love to draw. It is my favorite activity. Not sure why but I never get tired of it. I never leave home without materials in my pockets... Just in case the mood strikes me.

q) Do you draw influences from a wide range of artists, musicians, books.?

a)Absolutely. There is nothing in my reality that doesn't inspire me in profound ways.

q) Do you rule by any tendency in your creative work, or do you only follow what comes in your mind?

a)My work comes exclusively from my experiences passing through my mind and then interpreted in what ever I see fit for that moment.

q) What haven't you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)Death.

q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Yes lots. especially my friends. Mars1, Nome Edonna, Farmerbob, Amy Sol, David Chong Lee, Oliver Vernon...Geez I see so much great art I could sit here and list names forever.

q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)That depends entirely on what it is I'm trying to do. Roughly from 1 day to 6 weeks.

q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?

a)Anything and everything. I love music and I just set my computer to random.

q) Do you do many art shows?

a)Yes quite a few.

q) Favorite clothing setup?
a)I wear the same thing almost everyday. Jeans, tshirt, hoodie

q) What are you doing when you are not creating?

a)Running, happy hour, laughing, crying, talking, eating, sleeping, etc...But even during these times the creative process doesn't really stop for me. I take an existential approach to life... I don't care much for the postmodern cynicism of our current century. I'll leave that to the tv addicts and those who wish to compartmentalize there lives endlessly.

q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?

a)Oddly enough no. I don't like looking at it once it's done and I am happy to get it out of my hands as soon as is possible.
q) What new projects or exhibits are in your future?
a)I am doing my first real solo show in July at Lineage Gallery in Philadelphia. a 350 square foot mural in a house in Topango California. a series of art toys for kidrobot which should be released in May.Tthat is what is going on until the summer then I'll take it from there.

q) Describe your work space.

a)I am actually moving to a new space sometime this week. I am excited about it as it will be a collective space. We are planning some fun things in the near future.
q) What kind of projects/shows have you been involved in?

a)Tons of stuff but I tend to focus on the moment and not what was... But if you really have to know you can Google my name.

q)your contacts..e-mail.links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home