Google

Friday 5 October 2007

Interview with Emma Rendel

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I have lived in London for 7 years, but I'm from Sweden originally. I am an illustrator and make graphic novel-ish books, that I up until now have self-published under the name Awkwardbooks. I am a member of the Le Gun art collective. I am working on a graphhic novel about gay finnish farmers that will be published by Jonathan Cape in summer 2008.

q)How would you describe your work?

a)Stories.....mostly.... People tell me that they are dark and sad, I think that they are actually quite humourouos.

q) Did somebody encourage you to become an artist?

a)No, my family wanted me to have a real job.

q) What is your favorite medium?

a)Pens and pencils

q) Can you describe your process, from the seed of an idea to a complete work?

a)I get an idea. It starts going around in my head until it is a whole finished story. Then I start drawing.Or, someone tells me they want a drawing of a cat on a table, so then I do that.

q) Generally speaking, where do your ideas come from?

a)Conversations I hear in the street, snippets of memories from films, books, my childhood, something someone has told me.
q) How long does it take to complete a piece?
a)An illustration, about a day. This new book I am working on, about six months.

q) Who are your favorite artists…and who are some artists you are currently looking/listening to?

a)I like country music, Karin Mamma Andersson, Matti Hagelberg, Joseph Yoakum, Mathew Newton, Jockum Nordstrom, Emma Akerman, Bosch, Nils Dardel, Aloise Corbaz, Karl Fredrik Hill, Tove Jansson and many more.

q) Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

a)No I'm not represented by a gallery or agent. Yes I'm working on a show to go along with the new book I'm working on.

q) Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

a)I listen to the radio. I prefer programmes where people are talking, even if it is gardeners world. But the best thing is if they read from books

q) What is your favorite a) taste, b) sound, c) sight, d) smell, and e) tactile sensation?
a)
a. candies
b. country music
c. art
d. my finnish grandmas house
e. swimming

q) Do you have goals that you are trying to reach as an artist, what is your 'drive'? What would you like to accomplish in your 'profession'?
a)My goal is to be able to live of my work. My drive is that I'm not very good at anything else. And that I get new ideas all the time. I would like to publish lots of books.
q) When have you started using the internet and what role does this form of communication play for you, personally, for your art, and for your business?

a)It means that I get e-mails from people from all over the world. It's great! And it's much easier to contact people over the internet that you are too intimidated by to call.

q) What do you obsess over?

a)Every line in every drawing

q) Do you have prefered working hours? Do you pay attention to the time of the day or maybe specific lighting?

a)No.

q) Do you do commissioned works?

a)Yes
q) Any tips for emerging artists?
a)Only do it because you are really interested in what you are doing, all other reasons will make you disappointed. Network if you're that kind of person, it could make your carreer. Be prepared to be poor.

q)…Your contacts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home