Google

Wednesday 20 December 2006

Interview with Su Blackwell

Q)So, can you tell me a little about yourself? Full name, age, some background info, etc?

A)Su Blackwell, born 1975 Sheffield UK

Q)How did you get started making art?

A)My nan taught me to embroider when I was a child. Then when I was 19 a teacher recommended I apply to a textiles course at college. From then on, I was hooked…it gave me a direction and a focus in my life.

Q)How would you describe your art?

A)Book cut sculptures

Q)Who is your biggest influence, both art and non-art related

A)My tutor from college.

Q) How do you approach the creation of a new piece... how does everything come together?

A)I source the books from second hand shops, read the story and then the work emerges. Its very process led. I work out the practicalities as I’m making.




Q) What's your favorite medium to work in, and why?

A)Paper has a fragility and delicateness. I like working with paper because it is so malleable and responsive to the touch. It is easily accessible, and a cheap material.

Q) What is your favourite art related web site?

A)AI enjoy the work of Peter Callesen, and Tord Boontje and enjoy looking at their work on the web.

Q) Is your work all hand done? Or do you use any computer tools to help out?

A)So far, All hand done.

Q) What, in your opinion, are the best and worst places to exhibit artwork?

A)I find the City of London is a good place to exhibit work .



Q) I'm always interested in where an artist find their inspiration. Where do you find yours?

A)Folk tales, fairy stories, My dreams, reading books and looking at art and design.

Q) How are the reactions on your work in general?

A)Every body sees something different, humour, loneliness, something spooky…generally people are quiet around my work, like being in church.

Q) What are you doing when you are not creating art?

A) I’m always thinking or doing something nearly always related to my work.


Q)What are some of the greatest challenges that you think artists face today?

A) Too many to mention .



Q) Do you believe that a person is born with a talent to produce art or can anyone can be taught?

A)I think it has to be a bit of both.

Q)Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as your favorites?

A)For me, the pieces that stand out so far are Alice: A Mad Tea Party and the Birds of the open Forest

Q) What are some current/upcoming projects you are working on or excited about?

A)An exhibition in October at Lounge Gallery in Dalston and some collaborative pieces I’m working on.

Q) What advice would you give to younger up and coming artist?

A)Stick at it .



Q)Who are your favourite artists & Your favourite galleries?

A)I like the gallery in Notting Hill, England and Co.

Q) Do you need others to tell you they like it before you feel validated?

A)No

Q)Tell us a little about some of the different types of jobs you've had over the years, before/while doing what you do now. For someone who is starting out in art, how would you recommend they go about making a career out of it?

A)I began doing residencies in schools while still making my art, I’ve only recently started working on my art full time and it still feels daunting

Q)Your contacts….E-mail…links

A)
su@sublackwell.co.uk
http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/


1 Comments:

Anonymous backwaan said...

wow, how did you get an interview with her? I love her work! She is a massive inspiration to me, I really feel like were on the same page, excuse the pun :)

www.youngbackwaan.blogspot.com
www.nottsandbolt.blogspot.com

2 June 2009 at 16:42:00 GMT-7  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home