Google

Monday 27 November 2006

Interview with Ruth Gwily

Q)So, can you tell me a little about yourself?Full name, age, some background info, etc?

A)Ruth Gwily, 32 years old.Born and raised inTel-Aviv's suburb, in Israel. Studied graphic design in "Bezalel" - academy for art and design in Jerusalem. I've been living in Tel Aviv for the last six years. Working as a full time illustrator and doing my own work.

Q)How did you get started making art?
A)I've been drawings and paintings since I remember myself. Me and my twin sister use to draw as children all the time. We also went to art high-school. But for me it was only after I finished the academy, and found myself doing things for myself, only because they were ideas that I had to see how they turn out on paper -that's what I consider the beginning. It had to start from an idea, for me.

Q)How would you describe your art?
A)Maybe a combination between theatre and illustration.

Q)Who is your biggest influence, both art and non-art related…?

A)Eli Petel (my partner for life). I learn from him so much, as an artist and as a human being.

Q)) How do you approach the creation of a newpiece... How does everything come together?

A)I start with an idea. I never approach the work before I have something to say. I am a big believer in stories. Eventually that's also what puts everythingtogether. I do my best to put my vision as I had it in my mind - on paper. It usualy involved with directing me and others and taking pictures of the scene. Other times I use images from the internet.

Q) What's your favorite medium to work in, and why?

A)My mane medium is carbon paper. It has the quality of etching, that I love. and watercolors - because of the mistakes potential.

Q) What is your favorite art related web site?

A)I am not such a web-surfer. But "Google" images never stop amazing me.

Q) Is your work all hand done? Or do you use any computer tools to help out?
A)In my editorial work I color the illustrations digitally. In my personal work I use the computer only to arrange the composition.
Q) What, in your opinion, are the best and worst places to exhibit artwork?

A)Best places are, for me, still, art galleries. I love clean white walls.And I also think that for some works - the internet.The worst place would be a dark bar.

Q) I'm always interested in where an artist find their inspiration.Where do you find yours?

A)I think I find it in my friends, people around me. I am intrigued with human behavior and relationships.

Q) How are the reactions on your work in general?

A)People tend to be touched and disturbed at the sametime.

Q) What are you doing when you are not creating art?
A)Anything indoors.

Q )What are some of the greatest challenges that you think artists face today?

A)I think it was always, and still is, how to deal with themselves, and their choice to be an artist.
Q) Do you believe that a person is born with a talent to produce art or can anyone can be taught?
A)I strongly believe that anyone can be taught. you have to really want it. That is the first step.

Q) Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as your favorites?

A)All of my personal work is my favorite. Each one of them is special and rare for me. But from the recent stuff I really like the dance comics (with my friend Niv Sheinfeld), I think the option to do comics thatcombines dance is something that I would love to explore some more.

Q) What are some current/upcoming projects you are working on or excited about?

A)I am working on a mime abc. Every letter is a noun that I relate to as a mime. But the mimics are very casual, not at all dramatic.

Q) What advice would you give to younger up and coming artist?

A)(Something I heard in a lecture by David Carson)everything has been done before, you are the only original thing you can offer to this world.

Q) Who are your favorite artists & Your favoritegalleries?

A)Henry Darger
Francesco Clemente
Joseph Beuys
Kathe Kollwitz
David Hockney
Frida Kahlo
Sue Coe
George Gross
Brian Cronin (an artist among illustrators)
lately I saw and loved Marcel Dzama
my boyfriend Eli Petel.
This is, of course, a very very basic list.I don't have a favorite galley.

Q) Do you need others to tell you they like it before you feel validated?

A)not so much, any more.But it is always nice to hear it from people you appreciate their opinion.
Q)Tell us a little about some of the different types of jobs you've had over the years,before/while doing what you do now.For someone who is starting out in art, how would you recommend they go about making a career out of it?
A)I was lucky to start working as an illustrator very soon after graduation, so the work and the art kind of combined. But I use to work in a video store in the beginning. I loved it.I think in every country it is different, in Israel there are not that many options for a career in art or illustration. But I think creating a web site and sending it to people can't hurt.You should also try to and believe in yourself, or at least look like you do. The people you work with don't need to know your hesitations.And don't be afraid to talk about money. It is fine to work cheap at first, but when you start getting some experience - stand up for your self.Another advice would be to try to do your best in every job. Challenge yourself, it will always move you forward.

Q)Your contacts..E-mail.links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home